Double click to insert body text here ...


© Chris Byrne 2010


The feeling that City had turned the corner continued and most of the previous season’s players had signed on again and they would be needed as a busy season beckoned. With poor seasons previously City started in the 1st Qualifying Round of the FA Cup; the Extra Preliminary Round of the Amateur Cup, the only Isthmian League team that had to play in this round; and the 1st Round of the Oxfordshire Senior Cup.
August 20th saw them involved in the AFA Invitation Cup Final held over from the previous season: they lost 0-4 to Athenian League Cambridge City.
The league season started well with a 2-1 victory at Dulwich Hamlet but results were disappointing after that, and the large number of cup matches meant that by mid-November only eight league matches (two wins; two draws; nine goals for; 15 against) had been played and only St Albans were below them. In the meantime they had gone out at the first hurdle in the FA Cup (1-3 at Banbury watched by more than 5000), but had three victories (11-0 v Henley Town; 3-1 v Slough and 7-1 against Morris Motors at the Crescent Road ground.) in the Amateur Cup. Unfortunately they collapsed to a disappointing 5-1 defeat at Maidenhead in the next round and so were condemned to playing through the qualifying rounds for another year.
The double involvement in the FA Cup and the Amateur Cup was causing fixture congestion problems for many Isthmian clubs, and there was a serious move afoot for the League to withdraw its clubs from the FA Cup altogether and concentrate solely on the Amateur Cup, though eventually the threat came to nothing.
The pressure was on again (the Oxford Times reported that Reg Hill, the Treasurer, was under doctors’ orders, because of his ulcers, not to visit the ground!) and a trial match between the ‘Casuals’ and ‘New Men’ was held in December in an attempt to find some new talent. Attendances were beginning to slip and the press reported that “... with bad weather approaching the draw of the TV is seen by many locals as the reason.” City scored three goals in a league match for the first time in the season at the start of December, a 3-2 win over Leytonstone, and results did improve steadily into the New Year, but, with so many matches to be played it was always going to be difficult and a 9th place finish was as good as could have been expected.


The Reserves started poorly and were bottom of the Section by the end of September but underwent a dramatic change after that and went undefeated until late March but, like the 1st XI, were faced with a very congested end-of-season and, despite a 6-3 win over Kingstonian, losses at Bromley and Walthamstow (6-5 and 3-2 respectively), saw them finish 5th. They did well in cup competitions also, winning the Charities Cup and, for the first time, the Reading Senior Cup. They had had a narrow 2-1 win against Wycombe Wanderers in the semi-final, when both sets of players complained that a running commentary on the whole of the Grand National had been relayed over the P.A. system, but they outclassed Battle Athletic 4-1 in the final at Elm Park.
The 1st XI did win the Benevolent Cup for the third year running by beating Chipping Norton Town 2-1, but had gone out of the Senior Cup to Headington United ‘A’ after two replays. They had also been asked to play in the AFA Invitation Cup again and defeated Northern Nomads from Lancashire 4-1; and Eastbourne 3-1 in the semi-final to reach the final which was carried over to the next season.
Harry Poole and Doug Buswell represented the AFA against Oxford University: Poole signed a professional contract with Stoke City after his ‘demob’ in February. Peter Canon, John Brown and Ken Howard all played for The Navy against the Corinthian League.
An August Bank Holiday tour to Germany was arranged to play Spielvereinigung E.V. (from Neu-Isenburg) and Giessen, another strong amateur team. Both matches were lost, but the tour was voted a hugh success.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player