Double click to insert body text here ...


© Chris Byrne 2010


The club again had a continental tour during the summer break: this time to Holland where they played teams in Utrecht and Hilversum.
There were slightly fewer player movements this season: Ian Rundle’s transfer to Wycombe being the main loss. Tony Bricknell retired in October, but came back to help out the Reserves in November. John Shufflebottom arrived from Witney and several University players joined the club. Max Bristowe was a Blues’ captain, as was Alan Pentecost, who would play for the next six seasons. Tony Garofall, Geoff Taylor, Peter Slater and Richard Gilliat (a future Hampshire county cricket captain) also featured in City teams and played for the University during the season.
The Isthmian League relented slightly and permitted City to enter the Mithras Cup this season which gave the supporters a chance to judge the relative strengths of parallel leagues. They would play Metropolitan Police (Metropolitan League); Athenian League members Slough, Maidenhead and Chesham as well as Southern League Hillingdon. The results did not generally go City’s way, though they did sport a new ‘floodlit strip’, unnumbered and with vertical stripes, in the competition.
The Reserve Section did continue, but, again, it was restricted: City Reserves avoided the long treks across London to Barking, Clapton, Ilford and Walthamstow. They were to have a good season being the only team to defeat Kingstonian who were to be runaway champions.
The 1st XI started the season brightly but then went through a 14 week period without a win. Injuries never allowed the team to settle; a goalkeeper crisis saw 15 year-old Tim Augar in goal in December, and a mid-season Trial Match didn’t seem to produce the quick-fix that had been hoped for. From the start of the New Year, though, they won six consecutive games in all competitions before collapsing 2-4 at home to bottom club Dulwich Hamlet.
Maidenhead, so often difficult cup adversaries, were defeated 5-2 in the FA Cup, a “...really fine win” according to the Oxford Times, and then victories at Huntley & Palmer's and Hemel Hempstead took City through to the Fourth Qualifying Round for only the sixth time since World War 2. Wealdstone, who had only recently joined the Isthmian from the Athenian League, were to prove too strong in the final qualifier, City losing 2-0.


The Amateur Cup saw City exempted until the 1st Round Proper because of their good run the previous year, but they fell at home to Leatherhead, an ambitious Athenian League side at the time, who scored three early goals and then withstood a second-half onslaught to go through 3-2.
The OFA had now decided to look further afield for competition for Oxford United in the Benevolent Cup but were unable to find suitable opponents in mid–March. In the Senior Cup there was a landslide 15-0 victory over Woodstock Town in the 2nd Round with Tony Bradbury scoring nine times to equal Peter Slade’s record. A much closer affair at Bicester took City through, 4-2, to the semi-final stage where they were initially held to a draw, and then beaten by a last-minute goal in a replay by Quarry Nomads before nearly 1500 at The Manor.
As ever, John Woodley, was the main goal-scorer and his performances gained him a place in the Isthmian League XI and also in the Southern Counties team against an England XI – effectively an England trial. He also reached the 250 goal milestone at Dulwich Hamlet in March.
Midway through the season Bob Jackson took over the captaincy from John Fisher, who moved on to Marlow, and was named Player of the Year, while, at the end of the season, Sid Hayle who had been trainer for the past 11 seasons left for a new job in Basingstoke.
In January the club provided a record eight players for the County XI, and elsewhere in the city Oxford Boys had a tremendous season in the national cup. Two years previously City player Gordon Peaper had captained them to the semi-finals of the competition: this season they reached the final but went down to East London Boys, 5-3 on aggregate, after a fantastic 2-1 semi-final win over Luton Boys in front of a crowd of more than 6000.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player