Double click to insert body text here ...


© Chris Byrne 2010


After a long summer working against the clock to bring the new ground up to the requirements of the Isthmian League, Court Place Farm was finally ready for the opening fixture against a strong Oxford United side, and on August 9th a large crowd assembled to see the home side put together an excellent performance crowned by a forty-yard rocket from Steve Jenkins that sealed City’s 3-1 win. A thoroughly convincing 6-1 victory over fellow Isthmian leaguers Wokingham increased the positive feeling about the new season, as did the retention of most of the previous season’s successful squad coupled with the arrival of Liam Herbert, Colin Fleet and John Harvey-Lynch from Abingdon Town.
August 21st took City to Hornchurch for their first Isthmian League game for over five years: unfortunately a 1-2 loss. However four days later their first home league game of the season in front of a 340 crowd saw two goals from Steve Jenkins and one from John Harvey-Lynch give them three points against Harlow Town.
City’s FA Cup involvement was over quickly as Newport showed no ill-effects from their short sea-crossing and scored seven without reply inflicting the Club’s largest home defeat for many, many years.
October saw a stuttering league form, but Division 2 sides, Egham and Maldon Vale, were despatched from the League Cup before Premier Division Basingstoke overcame City 3-1.
An upset was on the cards as Sean Reck was sent off early in the Vase tie at ambitious Combined Counties champions Peppard, and the Reading side held on to win 1-0, but City lived to fight another day after their complaint that the pitch was undersized was upheld by the FA. The reprieve was short-lived, though, as they lost at Croydon Athletic in the next round.


League results were improving again and Peter Foley won the November Manager of the Month award as a run of eight without defeat was put together. Included in this run was a remarkable game at home to Hertford Town when, after going in at the break with a slender 1-0 lead, City eased into a 4-0 lead only for the visitors to pull themselves back into the game and put up a great fight producing a ten-goal thriller with City the eventual winners 6-4.
Mark Lawrenson’s arrival added further quality to the side and the unbeaten run continued into the New Year before being brought to an end in a close game at Northwood. Through February results continued to be strong and the club climbed to second on the back of a 3-2 win at Epsom & Ewell.
The first stage of the Senior Cup was negotiated without difficulty with a 6-2 win over Old Woodstock; and then in a close-run match at Banbury City sealed their semi-final place with a 1-0 win.
The Easter weekend produced back-to-back defeats at Camberley and Bracknell while Peppard revenged their Vase expulsion with a 3-1 win over City in the Senior Cup semi-final after a 1-1 draw. This time it was Lawrenson who saw red after handling a goalbound shot on the line.
One way and another City had been left with a hugely congested end of season fixture list and found themselves having to play five games in the final eleven days, and, as results stood, having to win all five to be certain of a place in the top three. And they would have to do it without top scorer Steve Jenkins who had been sacked for ‘disciplinary reasons’.
So, on Wednesday April 17th they took the first step in this tricky quintet by beating bottom team Horsham 3-0. The visit to Flackwell Heath on the Saturday brought a 4-1 win and the Monday evening yielded a comfortable 5-0 victory over a weak Tring Town side. Thursday’s journey to Harefield United seemed likely to be an altogether trickier task, but the team dug deep and pulled off a tremendous 5-1 scoreline: four down, one to go. East Thurrock United were the final visitors of this exciting season to Court Place Farm, and Rob Mason steadied the nerves of the majority of the 337 crowd with a fifth minute goal while Andy Thomas made the game safe on the hour, ensuring the team pipped Harlow Town for the third promotion spot behind Bracknell and Cheshunt.
Not to be outdone, the Reserves finished as runners-up in their League, and stormed to an 8-0 victory over Carterton Reserves in the Oxfordshire Intermediate Cup Final.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player