Double click to insert body text here ...


© Chris Byrne 2010



City lost 0-4 in a lively friendly to Isthmian championship favourites Aldershot Town, but otherwise the pre-season preparation went well. And, though the league season began with a disappointing home defeat to Uxbridge, the next three league games were won and City faced the interesting journey to face Shoreham in the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup with confidence.
Little was known about their opponents – the teams had met once before, but that was in 1933 as City won 6-1 on their way to their First Round match with Gillingham – but the Sussex side put up little resistance and were swept aside 10-1. This was only the second occasion on which City had notched double figures in the FA Cup (10-1 v Marlow – also in 1933), and Danny Wise brought another FA Cup record to the Club as he scored five times after coming on as a substitute.
Another south coast side, Lymington & New Milton were beaten in the next round and, after Isthmian Premier leaders Farnborough Town were held to a 3-3 draw in Hampshire, the supporters were wondering if there might be another exciting cup-run in the offing. Farnborough had learned from their mistakes in the first tie, however, and might have had more than the two goals they did score before Nigel Emsden got a late consolation from the penalty spot. (Luke Prince, who would later claim FA Cup fame on national television when he played firstly for Team Bath against Mansfield in 2002 and then for Salisbury against Nottingham Forest in 2006, made two of his handful of City appearances in these games against Farnborough.)

The team had picked up several injuries in these cup matches and results suffered accordingly with only one win picked up in the next eight league games, and the team slipped down the table.
There was a 2-2 draw in the FA Trophy at Folkestone Invicta, but the Kent side won an exciting replay by the odd goal in seven.
Paul Lee’s team edged past a Thame side that contained his son, Justin, in the first round of the Full Members’ Cup and went all the way to the semi-finals in this competition, beating Bromley and Uxbridge along the way, before losing to Premier side Purfleet 1-3 at the start of May.
After five successive years of reaching the Senior Cup Final, involvement this season was fleeting as City fell at home at the first attempt when Kevin Brock’s Banbury United side won 2-0 against, on the night, a very lacklustre City side.
The winter’s heavy rain was producing a considerable number of postponements and it reached the point where a meeting of the League had to be convened in early April to consider whether or not the season should be extended: it was agreed that it should not. The decision meant that City had to play ten league matches in the last four weeks of the season, including the ‘away’ match against Staines Town transferred to Court Place Farm and played on a Sunday at the end of April. The season finished, as it had begun, with a home defeat – 2-5 against free-scoring Northwood – but results had picked up, and a comfortable mid-table finish was achieved.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.

Get Flash Player